Creating a Solid Brush
A solid vector brush's tip can be shaped like a circle, a diamond or a square, and can be configured to have a specific size, aspect ratio and angle. Also, solid vector brushes can be automatically smoothed by Harmony as you draw.
If you are drawing on a bitmap layer, you can only use textured brushes. You can create a textured brush that makes solid looking strokes, but they can not be automatically smoothed by Harmony, nor can they tweaked with vector tools such as the Contour Editor.
- In the Tools toolbar, select the Brush or Eraser tool.
- In the Tool Properties view, click the arrow button to open the Brush/Eraser Properties dialog.
The Brush Properties dialog opens.
- In the Brush Type dropdown list, select Solid Vector.
- In the brush tip list, select either Circle, Diamond or Square.
- Use the Maximum Size slider to set the maximum size of your brush tip.
- If you are using a pressure-sensitive pen tablet, use the Minimum Size slider to set the size of your brush when using your pen with very little pressure. The minimum size is set to a percentage of your brush tip's maximum size, which is 25% by default. If you don't want the pressure on your pen to affect the brush size, set this parameter to 100%.
- If you want your brush tip to have uneven dimensions, use the Roundness slider to shrink the brush tip vertically all the while preserving its horizontal size.
- If you want your brush tip to be at an angle, use the Angle slider to rotate your brush tip.
- Click on the Smoothing tab.
- Use the Centerline Smoothing slider to set the amount of smoothing Harmony should perform on your stroke's direction, curves and corners. A higher setting will prevent your line from being shaky, but is liable to reduce your drawing precision and to round sharp corners into curves.
- Use the Contour Smoothing slider to set the amount of smoothing Harmony should perform on your stroke's contour. A higher setting will round sharp corners and reduce the amount of control points for the resulting vector shape.
- Either close or set aside the Brush Properties dialog.
- In the Drawing view, start drawing to test your brush settings.