Troubleshooting Activation Problems
The following page covers common problems faced when activating a Toon Boom product. If you are still having issues after following these steps, feel free to contact support for assistance.
- An application can't be opened because the identify of the developer cannot be confirmed
- Error -1
- Error 50041 - Cannot connect to activation server
On macOS, the first time you launch any Toon Boom application, it must be launched by a user with administrator privileges. This is because macOS cannot confirm the identity of the developer and blocks unidentified applications by default. This includes License Wizard, which is central to the activation process for Toon Boom products. Once the application is launched for the first time by an administrator, it becomes permanently approved for launching by other users.
- Log in to an account with administrator privileges.
- In Finder, navigate to the application you want to launch.
Ctrl + click on the application and select Open.
A prompt stating that the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed will appear.
In that prompt, click on Open.
The application will launch. From that point on, simply double-clicking on the application will launch it.
This error typically occurs on macOS if there is a permission problem with the license activation service. You can try to fix this by running a very simple fix utility that re-installs the activation service.
- Log-in to an account with administrator privileges.
Download the package at the following location:
- Open a Finder window.
- Go to your Downloads folder.
Double-click on Toon Boom License Repair.zip to extract the app from the archive.
The Toon Boom License Repair app will appear in the directory.
- Double-click on the Toon Boom License Repair app to run it.
You will be prompted with the following message:
This utility will re-install the activation service for Toon Boom applications. Do you want to proceed?
Click on Yes.
You will be prompted to confirm allowing the utility to make changes to your computer.
- In the User Name field, enter the user name of an account with administrator privileges.
- In the Password field, type in the password for that account.
Click on OK.
The process will start and may take a few seconds, then the utility will display a report of what it did. Don't close the report dialog right away.
- Using License Wizard, attempt activating your product again, following the same procedures as before.
If you are able to activate your product, the problem bhas been fixed. If you are still getting an error, you can contact support at the following address. Make sure to explain to them the problem and the steps you have tried to follow so as to allow them to assist you as quickly as possible. Also, in the report dialog, click on View Full Log to open the full log of the repair utility, in case this information could be useful to the support team.
This error occurs when License Wizard is not able to communicate with the license server. If you are attempting to activate your product by signing in to your Toon Boom account or by entering your product code in the Internet Activation dialog, your machine must have a direct connection to the Internet for the activation procedure to be successful.
The following are typical causes for License Wizard to fail contacting the license server:
- Your computer has a problem with its Internet connection. Check that your network connection is in order and that you can load a website in a web browser.
- Your computer is configured to connect to the Internet through a proxy. To activate your product, you should temporarily allow your computer to connect to the Internet directly.
- Your firewall or network is configured to block access to the Internet or to non-whitelisted sites. Make sure that your firewall allows outgoing connection through port 443 and that access to licensing.toonboom.com is allowed.
- The license server is too busy. This occurs if many users try to activate simultaneously and is only temporary. You can try activating your product again and see if it works.
Once a product is activated, its license will remain valid until its expiration, even if you do not have Internet access. Hence, you can re-enable your proxy, firewall or internet filtering settings once the activation is successful. However, you will to re-enable direct access to the Toon Boom license server if you need to activate a product again.
Likewise, if you have a monthly or yearly desktop subscription, License Wizard needs to renew your license at the end of every subscription period. This also requires direct access to the license server through the Internet. Hence, if you have issues renewing your license at the end of your subscription period, make sure that you disable your proxy and allow connections to the license server or to the Internet, then try again. s
If you want to activate a product code on a machine that cannot be given access to the Internet, you can activate your product code by email: