When using any of the playback options in Storyboard Pro, the software must calculate the positioning of all the *.tvg (Toon Boom vector graphics) files. This is the file format created from all your drawing strokes. This calculation tends to slow down the rate of playback. There is, however, a way to circumvent this problem.
There is a second file format, *.tvgo (Toon Boom vector graphic optimized), that has all the pixel position information pre-calculated. Using these drawings should significantly speed up playback.
- Select Edit > Preferences.
The Preferences dialog box opens.
- From the Advanced tab, under the Optimized Playback section, select the Use Optimized Drawings option.
- Select the Asynchronous Drawing Loading option to optimize playback. There are cases in which, during playback, the software may encounter a particularly texture-heavy or complex panel. When this happens, and this option is deselected, there will be a pause in playback while the frame loads. If you select this option, then playback will continue and the drawings will load as soon as they are available. You may notice a short blink while the drawing loads.
- Select the Preload Drawings option to enhance playback further by loading drawings in memory before you reach them during playback. Storyboard Pro will determine which, between the two options, has more drawings to preload and use the appropriate option during playback.
- Number of Frames to Preload: Storyboard Pro looks ahead for the number of frames, and checks to see how many drawings are used. Each layer on each panel is a drawing. If you have many short panels, then you will have more drawings than if you had one long panel.
- Number of Panels to Preload: Storyboard Pro looks ahead for the specified number of panels to determine the number of drawings in those panels. Keep in mind that each layer on each panel is a drawing. If you have long panels, then it will want to look ahead several panels, instead of the specified number of frames.
- Click OK.
- Select File > Create Optimized Drawings.