Creating triggers allows the status of tasks in a workflow to be updated automatically. This eliminates the need for manual updating.
The following triggers do NOT need to be set, as they already built in:
- If the status of a task is set to Approved, the status of the next task in the workflow will automatically be updated to Pending.
- If the status of a task set to Approved is changed to Retake, the status of the preceding task in the workflow is automatically updated to Revise.
Task status updates follow a logical progression, therefore be sure that tasks further down the pipeline are not set to a higher status than Pending (eg. Approved). If this occurs, the status of the high status task will remain unchanged and not be triggered to update correctly.
- In your new Workflow, select the node for which you would like to incorporate a Trigger.
The options for the selected node appear in the right panel.
- Click Triggers View button.
The Triggers dialog box appears.
- Click on the plus button to add a new trigger.
The Add a new trigger for process panel appears.
- In the Name field, enter a name for the trigger.
- In the Description field, type in a description of the trigger's action.
- In the Scope section, select either:
Local to Pipeline. This option will only activate in the current workflow. This is the default often.
All “NODE NAME” Processes. Any node of this name in any workflow will be affected by this trigger. In this example it’s the “Anim” node.
- In the Event section, from the When drop-down list, select when the event should be triggered.
- In the Event section, from the To drop-down list, select the status that will activate the trigger.
In the example here, when a task status is changed from any other status (Standby, Pending, Need Assistance, In Progress, etc.) to To Validate, the trigger is activated.
- In the Action section, from the Do the following drop-down menu, select the action that the trigger will activate.
Depending on which action is selected, a corresponding set of additional options will appear.
- After completing the additional options, click on the Save button.
In the Production tab, changing the status of the given task/node now triggers the set action.
In this case, changing the status of the Anim task from Pending to To Validate automatically updates the status of Comp (the next task in the workflow) from Standby to Pending.
- Click on the Save icon to globally save the changes.