Using the Normal Map Converter
A normal map can be used to create other effects. If you're are working with an OpenFX plugin or other plugin requiring a normal map, you can use the Normal Map Converter node to translate the Harmony normal map to a format supported by your plugin. The Normal Map Converter node has been optimized to work with GenArts® plugins, but you also have the ability to use it on custom plugins.
The Normal Map Converter uses the following formula per channel:
value * (+/- length) + offset
* +/- depending if inverse is set to true ("-" if true)
- In the Node Library view, go to the Shading category and select the Normal Map Converter node.
- Drag it to the Node view.
- Connect the Normal Map Converter node between the Normal Map node and your custom plugin node.
- Select the Normal Map Converter node.
- In the Layer Properties view, adjust the node's properties.
Parameter Description Conversion Type By default, the conversion type is set to Genarts. If you work with a different manufacturer and want to adjust the parameters, set the conversion type to Custom. Offset Offsets the original position of the vector. You need to read the plugin documentation to know the offset you need to use. You must use the same offset value as the manufacturer is using. By default the offset is set to 0. Length The Normal Map Converter normalizes Harmony vectors to 1. By default the length value is set to 1. If your plugin requires shorter or longer vectors, enter a value smaller or greater than 1. It will multiply the vector length. Invert Red Inverts the red value (x). If your value is 125, the invert setting will transform it to -125. Invert Green Inverts the green value (y). If your value is 125, the invert setting will transform it to -125. Invert Blue Inverts the blue value (z). If your value is 125, the invert setting will transform it to -125.
- If the plugin you are using stores the X,Y and Z coordinates in different channels, you can use the Channel-Swap node to reassign the colour channels
—see Channel Swap Node.