If you are working on a character that is meant to be exported as a game asset for use in Unity, and you want to use deformations to animate your character, you must use Game Bone deformations. These deformations replicate the type of deformation supported by Unity and can be exported to Unity as they are, without having to bake the deformations into drawings first.
- Make sure the right element for the creation of your deformation chain is selected
—see Selecting Elements for Deformation.
- Once your element is selected, select the Rigging tool in the Deformation toolbar
- In the Tool Properties view, click on Game Bone to enable Game Bone mode.
- In the Tool Properties view, enable the Automatically create a group when creating a new deformation rig option so that your deformation chains are created inside groups. Every point in a deformation chain is an individual layer, so creating deformers with this option disabled is liable to clutter your Timeline and Node view.
- Place the cursor at the root of your drawing or drawing hierarchy, click once and release. For example, if you're creating a deformer for a whole arm, click on the shoulder joint.
- Move your cursor at the location where you want your first bone to finish and your second bone to start, and click again. An articulation control point will automatically be inserted between each bone you create.
- Move your cursor where you want the next articulation to be and click to create the next point.
Observe that, as you create a new point, the previous point now has a circle around it. This is the radius of the articulation, which allows you to determine how much of the drawing should be part of the articulation. Every point in a bone deformer, except for the first and the last one, has a radius setting.
- Click and hold the previous articulation's radius manipulator and adjust the articulation's radius so that it covers the limb.
- Repeat this until you are finished creating the Bone chain. Make sure you build each articulation in the right order going from the root to the extremity.