Vectorizing Scanned Drawings
You can turn scanned images into vector drawings, while maintaining the sketchiness of a pencil line or into vector images with a bitmap fill. Both options can add life to an animation, which straight vectorization with smoothing does not usually afford.
- From the top menu, select File >
Import > From Scanner.
- Select your scanner from the Scanner list.
- Click Preview to get a test scan of your drawing.
- In the Layer section, select one of the following:
- Create Layer: Imports an image into a new layer. Type a name for the layer in the Name field.
- Add to Existing Layer: Imports the image into an existing layer. Select a layer from the Layer list.
- In the Import Options section, select the Convert to Vector Drawing option.
- In the Vectorization section, set the following:
- Black and White: Vectorizes drawings as a solid black line; creates a 100% vector-based drawing. Set the Threshold and Smooth parameters.
- Grey: Vectorizes the image as a mix of vector contour and greyscale bitmap filling. Lines keep the texture from the scan, and the white of the paper becomes transparent.
- New Preset: Lets you create a new preset.
- Delete Preset: Lets you delete any preset in the list.
- Custom vectorization: Lets you set custom vectorization parameters—see About Custom Vectorization Parameters .
- In the Drawing Options section, set the following options if desired:
- Drawing Name: Name of the drawing to import.
- Hold Value: Type the number of frames that the drawing will be exposed.
- Scan and Advance: Lets you scan one drawing after another every time you click Scan.
- Overwrite: Lets you overwrite existing drawings—see Vectorizing Scanned Drawings.
- Flip Drawing: Mirrors the drawings horizontally and scans it this way.
- Adjust the Scale control and the sliders in the Preview Image window until you're satisfied with the view.
- Click Scan to import your drawing.
- If you are scanning panoramic drawings, in the Page Panning section, move the slider to the next letter to capture your next frame.
- If you have more than one drawing, set the next drawing in place and click Scan again. Repeat until you have finished scanning all your drawings.