Creating Curve Deformation Chains
Depending on your character and the style of animation you want to achieve, sometimes it is better to use Curve Deformers, instead of Bones, to rig your character.
- Once your element is selected, select the Rigging tool in the Deformation toolbar.
- In the Tool Properties view, enable the Curve mode.
- Place the cursor at the root of your drawing or drawing hierarchy. For example, if you're creating a deformer for a whole arm, place your cursor over the shoulder joint.
- Press and hold the mouse button to create the point, then drag to towards the direction where you want your curve to bend to set the position of this curve's bezier handle, just as you would when drawing a curve using the Polyline tool
—see Drawing with the Polyline Tool.
- Click again at the location where you want the curve to end and drag backwards to extend the second bezier handle.
- As you go, you can use your mouse cursor to reposition the existing bezier handles as needed. You can hold down the Alt key if you wish to move a point's bezier handle without affecting the bezier on the opposite site of the point.
- Repeat this process until you have finished building the Curve chain.