You can connect layers to effects that have a single input or multiple input, such as effects using masks.
- In the Timeline view, select the effect you want to connect to the drawing layer.
- Drag the effect and drop it onto the drawing layer.
- Select a drawing layer.
- Click the Add Layers button and select Effects > Highlight.
The Highlight effect is parented to the selected layer.
- In the Drawing or Camera view, create a drawing on a new layer that will act as the matte.
- In the Timeline view, click the Collapse/Expand button on the effect layer.
Drag and drop the matte layer beside the Matte field.
- Connect the Matte drawing to the Matte port of the Highlight node.
- Display the effect properties and adjust them until you achieve the desired effect.